Friday, August 10, 2007

Insomnia

I can't sleep.

Usually I am very good at sleeping. I am a world- class sleeper. If sleeping were an Olympic sport I would win the gold medal hands down. That is, if I didn't oversleep and miss the day of the Olympic trials. I rarely have problems with sleeping, mine are usually the kind that consist of wanting to do nothing but. It's the waking up that is the challenge for me.

Yet tonight I am awake, so I will blog.

I am reading a young adult novel. It's called The Book Thief and it's incredible. I had forgotten how my gems of literature could be found in the YA section if you take the time to seek them out. This one's discovery I owe to my little sister Katie. She brought a stack of library books 10 inches high on vacation (she is a girl after my own heart, I tell you) and this was one of them. I started reading it in Georgia and went straight to the library when I got home to find it and finish.

It's a big book. I'm still reading it and I don't usually take weeks to get through a book I'm really enjoying. I think this one is lingering because it has to be taken in small doses. It is a hard story, but one worth reading.

The Book Stealer is about a girl. She loves books and the only way she can acquire them is to steal (thus the title). She is growing up in Nazi Germany. The story is being narrated by death. Or rather, by Death, who turns out to be a strangely sympathetic character and perhaps the only one with such proximity to the events described who is able to be somewhat detached about them and therefore makes the perfect teller of this tale.

I won't say any more than that but if your interest is piqued go to the library, or Amazon, or your local bookstore, and find the book thief. You won't be disappointed. Let me know what you think.

The Book Thief
by Markus Zusak

2 comments:

library-less lisa said...

argh!!

i want to read it, but our librarians (as with all vancouver city employees) are on strike. such a sad life.

Snooley said...

yay! great to see you posting again! hope you're having a good week!

Sitemeter