Monday, May 12, 2008

Can-dy!!

I had tetanus shot today, since I was... oh... probably ten years overdue for one. I also had my TB test (a requirement for working with kids here in CA) in the same arm. I was not looking forward to it because I do not do needles. The nurse felt bad and said giving shots was her least favorite part of the job. While she was giving me the Tdap we could hear a much younger patient expressing his or her, ah, extreme discontent in another exam room.

After apologetically telling me that my arm was probably going to hurt like hell for a few days Nurse Kimberly, said, "I'm impressed, you're being really good. You haven't cried once. Do you want a lollipop?" Of course I said yes, b'cuz when have I ever turned down candy?

Surprisingly, the promise of a lollipop actually helped quite a bit. I was less panicky while having the shot than I usually am, and afterwards I didn't get the usual post-stress adrenaline rush. I'm totally going to ask for a lollipop every time now. Nurse Kimberly, you're mah hee-ro.

1 comment:

MoziEsmé said...

Yeah for the lollipops! There's a medical reason you can get sugar at a doctor's office.

Sitemeter