Monday, October 20, 2008

How I spent my Summer Autumn Vacation

Amended to include some really important stuff I forgot. Most likely will be amended tomorrow with more stuff I forgot. Please to excuse- I cannot brain today, I have the dumb.

I went to the National Aquarium in Baltimore and saw some very cool fish, parrots, lots of really colorful frogs and a dolphin show.

I had a wonderful time catching up with Jen.

I left my purse at Chipotle (yes, it is ironic that I traveled from California to Maryland to eat at Chipotle).

I ran through the rain and found it again.

I had a fun laughing with Jen, Emily, Gwen, and Audrey.

I played Wii tennis, badly.

I rescued a fish.

I helped Gwyn out of a tree.

I bore witness to the wonders of Chik-fil-A.

I missed seeing Dale by mere hours. :(

I missed seeing his son by less than a day.

I promised myself I would have controlled my impulse to blurt out to the latter, "I used to change your diapers!!!!"

I rode the bus, in the dead of night, into the bad part of York, PA.

I survived, much to the amazement of all concerned.

I stayed up until the wee hours talking to Ann.

I made pancakes with 2-year-old Addy.

I resisted the urge to roll her up in a pancake and nom on her extreme cuteness.

I wowed all of the Wahlberg children with my space age ability to talk to Michael online via iChat.

I was mocked by 6-year-old Gabriel for having a boyfriend. "EEWwwwwwww!!!!" followed by a shocked, horrified and highly accusatory, "You're in luuuuuhve!!!!!"

I got shy hugs from Kailey and exuberant hugs from Blake.

I likewise refrained from informing them that I also changed their diapers, many moons ago.

I reflected on the fact that I seem to have babysat most of the population of RI at one time or another.

I sat by Aiden's tree.

I saw families struggling with the brokenness of the world.

I struggled with frustration at my inability to make everything right again.

I saw a light shining in the darkness, and the darkness failing to overcome it.

I was reminded that it's not my job to fix things, only to be obedient to the One who can.

I went to a playground with my sister and our two of our best friends from childhood (also sisters) and their collective 10 children.

I went to a harvest festival in Lancaster, PA and took a hayride (or 2).

I ate really good barbecued chicken.

I made fun of my dad's grumpiness.

I tried to convince my 9-month-old niece that I am not a scary monster.

I failed.

I was awoken by a bundle of little-boy cuteness jumping on my head.

I threw water balloons at a rock with Libby and Luke.

I was chased by a water-balloon-bearing almost-four-year-old.

I visited my brother Dan and cried over the reality of RI apartment rental prices as compared to those in the bay area.

I gave my brother Sean a noogie.

I argued with my sister Katie about which of us mom likes better (it's totally me).

I laughed with old friends about old times and looked at pictures of more old friends on Facebook.

I witnessed The B.I.L. drawn out of his poker-playing lair by an old friend who wouldn't take no for an answer.

I played SupaSmash Bwuvers with Luke on the wii.

I had coffee with my sister and a fellow blogger who sells her gorgeous photographs in an Etsy shop.

I bought a gorgeous photograph from her.

I reminisced about all things Rhode Islandish and rhapsodized about what a great resource the internet is for meeting cool people in seemingly-random ways.

I shared Luke's germs and started to cough.

I canceled the last leg of my trip to avoid infecting the McFelsenguires.

I came home and on the way sat next to a very nice young man who was flying from his army base in Texas to attend his grandmother's funeral in Sunnyvale and gave me peppermints for my cough.

I realized that I had left my cell phone at my parents' house.

I D'oh.

I realized my mom was right when she told me to double check for my phone and she hasn't even said, "I told you so."

9 comments:

Christy said...

Coming soon - GOOD.

Now - how do you use strikethrough in your blogs?

Amanda said...

Okay, I'm stumped. What do all of those symbols mean? You just love being enigmatic.

Amanda said...

Well, now I can see the words and they symbols! Thanks for the message last night--I thought I was losing my mind!

Amanda said...

I drove all the way into the boonies, risking life & limb on that dark road, and I didn't even make the list????

jess said...

I know, huh? I'm such a lame-o. I was just writing stuff as it popped into my head and as soon as I published it I thought of five things I should've added. You being first among them OF COURSE!!! ;0)

l i s a said...

wow, all this excitement even before the deadline of the 23rd. (which was likely put there for annoying commenters like me, i get it.)

jess said...

Wha- Who? I'm confused Lisa! Was the 23rd something I said??

jess said...

Oh hah, heh, how did that happen? Good catch Lisa.

l i s a said...

wow, can't believe you didn't do that on purpose. i thought it was some cool blogging trick.

i'm going to have to think about your question in the "oh hai. . ." posting as i haven't quite figured it out yet. something about "safe, legal and rare" comes to mind.

ps--i hope i still get my absentee ballot despite your slander on my political views (since when are universal health care, legalization of drugs, radical redistribution of wealth and anti-school of americas perspectives anti-american? :)

Sitemeter