Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Oh Hai, You Wuz Taking to Me?

Sorry, Google Reader readers, I swear, this is the last time I'm gong to publish this post. Honest!

I had this really great word that I invented and was going to wow you all with but I forgot it. Because I do that. Forget things, that is.

What was I saying?

So, back to the subject of dental hygiene. It's important to floss at least twice on each side. Once in the morning before loading the Turkish carpets onto the camels and once in the evening after you've mucked out the alpaca's stalls. Now I know what you're saying to yourself, reader. You're saying what about that time the snowmobile ran over the sled dog and the moose hunt had to be called off? I know, I know, these are all very valid questions and they deserve answers. Of course when treading in the waters of presidental hygiene on cannot be too cautious.

The point, not to change the subject, is that I was raised in a pentecostal church and I find the idea of a pentecostal moose hunter running the country somewhat frightening. I've been following the presidential race from a distance, often with my hands covering my face like a feral child at a screening of Metropolis. I catch the major points, but for the most part I'm blissfully unaware. My only exposure to current events besides Newsweek, is what trickles through the -non-political- blogs I read [obsessively].

But the other day I came across a subject that perplexes me and I thought I would solicit opinions from you, gentle readers, on the basis that you seem to be a dignified lot, unlikely to send me death threats like Dooce's readers. If I'm wrong, at least this will flush you out and expose you for the dangerous internet stalkers you really are (that's right, I'm talking to you, Lisa, with your wacky liberal views, and your obviously anti-American defection to Canada).

@@We interrupt this important message to inform you that Michael is currently being forced- not exactly against his will, but only because he doesn't know what he's getting into- to watch The Cutting Edge with me. Because of the six year gap in our ages, I feel keenly the responsibility of introducing The Boy to important teenage movies that he missed because he was 12 when they came out in theatres.*

*Or possibly because he's not a girl.@@

But back to the topic of the day: penguins! Or no.. wait...One more time.

Not to go into this too deeply, because you're probably already bored, but I was raised in a very conservative home where the very idea that abortion could be anything but the most heinous of cold-blooded crimes perpetrated, for the most part, by ruthless money-hungry doctors and loose women, was inconceivable. True story: When I was a teenager I could occasionally be found at home babysitting my younger siblings while my parents went out and picketed abortion clinics. On a really exciting night they would be arrested.

It's only through the personal stories of women on both sides of the abortion-rights issue that I've learned to look beyond the vitriol and rhetoric surrounding this issue to see that unborn babies are not the only human lives involved. And the reason that I've been hesitant to broach this topic before is the same one that makes me sympathetic to even the most vehement of haters on both sides. It's because I know what it's like to be taught that this is an unquestionable religious issue and that any dissenting opinion means that you are a bad person. Make no mistake, it's just as religious a doctrine on the pro-choice side, for every story like mine you can find one from a woman, having grown up in the culture of extreme feminism, who, in carrying her own much-wanted children, has had to face the reality that a pregnancy does not consist of a bundle of disposable cells.

My question to you is this: Leaving aside all of the myriad valid questions surrounding this issue and focusing on this one, how can anyone believe that a government (or anyone, for that matter) is justified in telling a woman that her unborn child's life must be preserved at any cost, including that of her own. I want to believe that it's simply ignorance because I know that the issue was certainly not represented honestly on the side of town I grew up on. Whenever a woman decided to risk death and carry her child to term against medical advice and everything went miraculously well, she became a poster child for the movement. However those were the only stories that were ever heard in the pro-life camp.

Read this and this tell me that you think.

3 comments:

Christy said...

TOE PICK!!!!!!!

l i s a said...

oh, wait, i did think of something to say to this post. except christy stole it.

all the boys i was friends with in high school know that movie because we made them watch it at least once a month.

Anonymous said...

I had this disagreement with your cousin Allison.....that being proChoice doesn't mean that you are pro Abortion.......... it simply means that you respect another woman's CHOICE....the world is not black and white I'm comfortable with shades of gray or is it grey?

Sitemeter