Wednesday, November 5, 2008

New Day

I'm excited about the election results. No matter what you think of Obama's politics you have to agree that it's a pretty incredible thing to have elected America's first black president. We've come a long way from the days when the color of your skin made you an inferior citizen (or not a citizen at all).

I wasn't a wholehearted Obama fan. I wanted to be, but I was wary of someone who's seen by so many as a political savior. While there are certainly things I disagree with Obama about, I was impressed with him as a person, and horrified by the vicious rumors circulated by people who opposed him.

I couldn't actually vote because my registration must have been lost when I renewed my license a few months ago and I didn't realize what had happened until it was too late to rectify. But if I had been able to, I would have voted for Obama.

Now that he's won the race, I intend to put aside any criticisms I have of him in order to support this man who- nobody is arguing this- has a very tough job ahead of him. Hopefully he'll succeed and be remembered as a hero. Maybe not, but I'm not going to be one of the people who's hoping he'll fail so that my doubts will be justified.

I'm hoping that now that the race is over people from both sides will put their differences aside and come together to try and make things better in the US and the rest of the world. I don't hold out much hope for the lady who wouldn't give Halloween candy to kids whose parents were voting for Obama, but please let her be a fringe wacko and not representative of most McCain backers. Can't we agree to disagree but still respect each other? (Yes, Dad, I'm talking to you).

2 comments:

Christy said...

Well looky there. If I hadn't blown my re-registration, I would have voted opposite for you (based on no real research whatsoever).

I'm relieved to not be the only irresponsible citizen, I mean...busy person who didn't vote.

Wonder-Rachel said...

My Mom didn't vote. And she participated in my huge families political debates all along. And she knew she wasn't registered in MD (moved there 6 months ago). I was surprised. But hey, she wasn't alone. I voted. For Obama. But I'm with you on the whole agree to disagree, can't we all get along stuff. I have friends on both sides of all kinds of fences and I don't see the problem. In this particular case I think we really need a little teamwork to get this nation back to greatness. Here' to hoping we can get something done!

Sitemeter