Monday, December 22, 2008

Letter to Santa

Posted as part of Painted Maypole's Monday Mission

Dear Santa,

If I could have the gift of being able to be anywhere, instantly, this Christmas, I'd ask to be in New England, even if just for a moment. I want to see my niece and nephews. I want to hug my kids, all of the beautiful babies- most now taller than me- that I've cared for over the years, who hold little pieces of my heart. I want to smush Luke in a bear hug and hear him say, "Auntie Jess!" I want to see Bailey crawling and laughing. I want to hold Adam and Brady close and shield them from the sorrow and upheaval that their short lives have already witnessed. I want to marvel at how Allie and Isabelle, the little girls who were the first I cared for with the title of "nanny" have become beautiful young women, teenagers, in what seems like the blink of an eye. I want to laugh with Michal and Eliana over the silly pictures we took the last time I was in Boston. I want to hear Danielle's infectious giggle and Will's serious voice explaining technical sailing terms with all the confidence and poise of an old salt, even though he's only 11. I want to hug my mom and dad, and my brothers Sean and Daniel and my sisters Katie and Lib. My sister Julie, who is even farther away in Wales. I yearn for the comfort and safety of knowing I am loved. 

But as far as I know, there's not enough room to carry a Star Trek transporter on your sleigh. And it's too late for Milky the Cow. So instead I'll just say thank you for the gifts I already have. For my brother, Zach, who lives just on the other side of El Camino Real -the Way of Kings- and cares for me so well. For the friends who have surrounded me this difficult Christmas season and given me happy memories of gathering around a fireplace together, laughing, instead of sitting at home, alone and feeling sorry for myself.  Thank you for the comfort and safety of knowing that I am loved. 

-Jessica
p.s. I'm sorry there won't be any cookies this year. I'm truly sorry. I ate all of the dough. It's been one of those weeks, y'know?

3 comments:

painted maypole said...

well hello, there! thanks for playing along with the Monday Missions!

this was a beautiful letter. I live far away from family and friends, and surely wish i could be so easily transported as well (but this Xmas, on Christmas Day, and airplane will be doing just that...)

Amanda in RI said...

Wish you could have been here, too, Jess. I hope you've had a good week.

Anonymous said...

We missed you Auntie Jess! I love the new ornament! call me.
Lib

Sitemeter