Friday, February 13, 2009

Got Me Some Tapioca Pudding and Survived the First Week of Work

My first week with the short & loud people (credit to Jessica at Oh, the Joys for this phrase, I hope she doesn't mind me stealing it- imitation is the sincerest form of theft and all that, right?) went surprisingly smoothly, all things considered. Monday I fumbled and dropped an entire bottle of cranberry Italian soda on the stone tile floor. But luckily, Baby-bee was sleeping during the entire hour and a half it took me to pick up the larger pieces of glass, clean up most of the sticky red juice, vacuum to take care of some of the 3 million shards of glass, wash the floor with a sponge (couldn't find the mop), vacuum again to get the evil little pieces of glass I missed the first time, and then go over the -still slightly sticky- floor again because do you know how hard it is to clean up cranberry soda with a single sponge? In spite of my amazing klutziness, I consider the day well spent since I at least didn't drop the baby, which is always an awkward thing to 'fess up to on your first day of a new job. 

Day 2 was similarly easy with just Baby-bee and I. I was disturbed at how tired I was at the end of the day, considering that it was only Tuesday, but then I realized that 4 ten-hour days means that Tuesday night is midweek for me, so I was further along than it seemed. 

Wednesday I dozed when napping happened, which was very effective. 

Thursday I had Baby-bee and her brother, Lil'guy. This was interesting, as there were occasionally two screaming short & loud people at the same time. And it was rainy so we were trapped in the house for most of the day. The first half of the day was... trying. But then there were three people napping at the same time and after that it was a lot better. There was some backyard time with Lil'guy, and I got to leave early. Overall, even though I remember wanting to tear my hair out at some point earlier in the day, the memory has faded- the way they say childbirth does or no one would ever do it again. And I ended the week feeling really good about the next few months. And also kind of silly for freaking out about it. But just wait a few weeks, I'm sure I'll find something else to freak out about, just to keep you all entertained.

7 comments:

Mrs. Spit said...

Umm, Have I mentioned that you are my hero?

l i s a said...

way to put your nannying (and broken-glass-cleaning) skillz to work, jdav.

hope you're spending the weekend both resting and spending time with people you love. happy v-day.

litabug said...

I agree with Mrs. Spit. It's gotta be good for the short loud people to have someone kind, caring, and fun to spend their days with, even if you are a bit clumsy. ;) You rock.

Amanda in RI said...

That's good news--I was wondering just yesterday how things were going !

NannyGarcia said...

I used to habitually drop the (super sticky) apple juice every time I opened the fridge door ... until I mastered the art of fridge organizing. Spills are such a pain in the mopping up ass.

Jocelyn said...

Well, you seem very even about the cranberry soda spill, but I know that it is a terrible wrench to have been anticipating the lull of nap time and then have to spend the duration doing something totally annoying and pain-in-the-assish like cleaning up broken glass.

Angie Bailey said...

"Short loud people" - I love it! Kids can certainly tire a person out...

Sitemeter