Monday, November 2, 2009

A Few Things to be Thankful For Upon the Demise of My Second Relationship in Less Than a Year*

Women.

In spite of the inherent insanity involved in being a woman, I wouldn't trade it for the world. I have wonderful housemates who take care of me and throw me fantastic birthday parties. Sisters of the heart who love me and let me cry on their shoulders when I'm sad. Silly girls who tell awful jokes, and play cheesy movies to distract me, and let me rest my head in their laps while they stroke my hair and tell me that boys are silly anyway, and who needs them? Wild ladies of the night who dare each other to go skinny-dipping in a public pool, and throw crazy breakup parties to cheer me up. Daughters of God who pray for me and with me; who tell me it's going to be all right; who see things for me and in me that I cannot see myself.

Family.

My real family is far away but they love me even when I can't be as gracious to them as I should. I have more siblings than any one person really deserves, loving parents, and the cutest niece and nephews anyone's ever seen; plus a whole slew of aunts, uncles, cousins and two precious grandparents. I have a family that I have made for myself here in California. They are my small geographical corner of the family of God, which stretches all over the world. I love them differently than I love my blood family, but no less.

Friends

In addition to the women closest to me, I have friends in such varied walks of life that it boggles my mind sometimes. I have friends here and far away. Friends in countries I've never visited. Friends I've never even met in person. Friends I haven't seen for years who I know- if I were lucky enough to see them again- would greet me as if we'd only parted yesterday. I am blessed with people who love me.

Hope

I may not know what the future holds, but I know Whose hands I am in and I trust them.

*Just a few days under ten months if you're counting, but why would you want to do that? That would just be depressing, and everyone knows I am never whiny or depressed. Much like the way I would never get up and write a stupid blog post in the middle of the night because I can't sleep and I don't want to think because then I start to get angry about things that don't matter anymore. So, what was I saying? Right- hope.. Please remind me of that in the months to come, should I occasionally forget.

6 comments:

Chris Tea said...

"Hope is the thing with feathers
That perches in the soul,
And sings the tune--without the words,
And never stops at all,"
-Emily Dickinson

I hope hope flutters on your shoulder today, brushes a feather on your cheek. I love what you wrote about your family and friends.

Mrs. Spit said...

I'm sorry Jess, really sorry.

But so glad that you realize what's around you too.

Sending hugs. Big ones.

Amanda said...

What happened? ((hugs))

Christy said...

:( for the demise part
:(
YOGURTLAND WHEN I GET BACK, ok?

Jen said...

Oh, I'm sorry. Break-ups suckit. But, I hope it means you'll be posting more!

More later when my evil children are sleeping. XOXOXO

Laura said...

I'm so sorry about the break up. :(

Sitemeter