Monday, May 30, 2011

No More Pencils, No More Books...

So the kids are out of school for the summer. Friday was their last day. How did that happen?! It seems like yesterday we were signing them up for school here. I can't believe it's summer again already and we've been a family for a whole year. I wish the kids would stop growing up so quickly, I can see such a difference from when I met them!

I'm glad they're growing up but I missed so much of their littleness that it makes me sad to think about them being teenagers and hating their dad & I. I do try to be mentally prepared for regular old angsty teenagerism PLUS blended family issues, so when I get to play the wicked stepmother- "I don't have to listen to you, YOU'RE not my MOTHER!"- it will be less of a shock. But Oh, how I wish I could rewind their lives and hold them as babies and chase after them as chubby toddlers just for a little while before they get taller than me. :)

Todd and I worried about the local elementary school's low ratings when we first moved here. The CA system requires them to really push in parents' faces the fact that the school performed poorly the year before (as if most parents have a choice anyway... I can see the point of being open about it, but it seems a bit counter-productive), and though the kids have an easy time with academics, and Todd spends lots of time teaching them at home, we really want them to enjoy school. I hated school all the way through and it made my life miserable and kinda prejudiced me against conventional education.

Our fears were groundless. I think both kids had the best school year ever. This is the first year these former Army brats have been able to complete an entire school year in the same state, let alone the same school! And we all love, love, LOVE their school. The principal was on a mission to turn the school around this year, after she replaced a principal who made some poor decisions in the last few. She definitely succeeded. I spent some time volunteering there in the second half of the year and I found everyone who works there to be amazing. In spite of the fact that the parent volunteer ratio is really small at this school, the teachers, and parents who are able to help out, are enthusiastic and determined to make the school the best one they can for the kids.

So ends our first year in Modesto. I wonder what this year will bring?


3 comments:

Gypsy Guru said...

How wonderful that you've such a positive experience with the school! We're in one of the top-rated elementary schools in the entire state of Georgia (Top 10) and we've found that they make sometimes questionable choices in order to hold onto that designation. I don't hate the school, I just wish I liked it better... Perhaps if I were able to volunteer some it would change my perspective.

It almost made me weep to read about you having missed the kids' "littleness" - that part does go by so very quickly. Perhaps their teenage years will go more smoothly than you imagine as you all grow into your family roles. With all the love and constancy you're giving them now, you never know what's possible!

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you had a great year, and I'm glad I checked your blog- I'm very impressed with your wunderstudio art, my friend. I need to take up crafting..
since my blog won't let me comment- ON MY OWN BLOG- thank you for your kind words, I can't wait to return them once there is a mini Jess on this planet ;)

Prairie woman said...

*sigh*.. now I have to be anonymous?? This is Susanna

Sitemeter